RE: [VACList] RV Refrigerators

Greetings Lexxy!

Have you fully considered your intended uses for the coach?  A straight
120 Volt refrigerator is going to greatly limit the usefulness of a
coach in many situations - - I speak from experience as mine ('64
Overlander) had a 5.0 cubic foot 120 Volt refrigerator when I purchased
it.  It was virtually useless for my purposes - - annual trips to the
International Rally and caravans whenever I can work them into my
schedule.  At the International Rally, you won't be able to draw enough
120 Volt to properly operate the refrigerator, and on most Wagon Wheel
Caravans you'll need to be able to get away without 120 Volt for two or
more days at a time.  The cooler solution gets very old VERY fast - - I
did this for five years before I finally sprang for a 3-Way Dometic RV
Refrigerator in a size that compares to the one that Airstream
originally put in the coach - - ended up spending the better part of
$1,000.00 to repair the cabinetry damage that the previous owner had
inflicted in the installation of the 120 Volt refrigerator - - that was
in addition to the cost of the refrigerator.  Later it was discovered
that the current draw of the 120 volt refrigerator had been so great
that it had damaged the wiring and outlet to the refrigerator cabinet
and ended up having to have that redone as well.  I haven't even used
the Dometic on 120 volt yet - - the 12-volt has proven just what I
needed and when parked for extended periods I usually switch it over to
gas.

I would encourage you to seriously rethink using anything other than an
RV type refrigerator in your coach.  They may be a bit heavier than the
dormitory refrigerators, but they will far outlast the small 120 Volt
refrigerators - - the 120 Volt in my Overlander expired at 7 years of
age - - the original Dometic RV refrigerator in my '78 Argosy is going
strong after 25 years of faithful service (just treated it to a thorough
professional cleaning and adjustment - - technician could find no reason
that it shouldn't continue for another decade or more with a little
care).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359