[VAC] propane procedures

Hi Rick Langer with the 1966 Globe Trotter,

In your note you asked, "Should the gas be turned off when the trailer is
moved?"

Rick, if state law says to turn it off, then follow the law. If there is no
state law, then use common sense.

For example, if your tow vehicle's gas tank is on the same side as your
Airstream's refrigerator (with the flame lit) and the wind is calm, then
don't pull up to the middle of a gas pump island where other cars are
filling their gas tanks opposite your refrigerator and start filling your
gas tank. You wouldn't try to light a cigarette there.

For example, if your tow vehicle's gas tank is on the opposite side from
your Airstream's refrigerator (with the flame lit) and gusting wind is
occurring AND you pull up to the outside pump at the end of the island with
your Airstream still extending out into the parking lot, then maybe it would
be okay to fill your gas tank.

You've read Kevin's experiences. Are you a gambler? Maybe Kevin is having
his share of bad luck as well as your share. Does that mean as long as
Kevin's on the road you'll have good luck?   <grin>

Kevin's point about inspecting the hoses applies to all of us. If you've
been reading VAC posts for the last few months, you know a lot of emphasis
is placed on attention to detail. This is another topic where that's a
requirement.

As for traveling and having the burner not stay lit because of buffeting
wind, many factors can influence that. If your refrigerator is on the curb
side, then you cause some of the buffeting by passing trucks and buses and
cars. If your refrigerator is on the street side, then every vehicle that
passes you will cause some of the buffeting. There are more factors, but you
get the idea.

Then, there are differences in the aluminum baffling that surrounds each
refrigerator's burner. Two examples.

In my 1967 22' Airstream, I've learned to check the burner even when we're
parked in a campground. When there's 25 mph winds, the burner may go out.
The ventilation hole in the floor may have something to do with that. At
this point, my latest revision of the baffling configuration seems to be
working. The true test will be this Summer when we resume using that trailer
again.

Yet, in our 1977 31' Airstream, I lit the burner five months ago and only
relight it when a propane bottle goes dry. The ventilation is a slotted side
compartment door. The internal baffling for this refrigerator was my
blueprint for the latest changes made to my 1967's burner baffles.

Is there one answer for you? Yes, and only you can determine what that
answer will be. For every person who says don't travel with it lit, there is
another who says it's okay to travel with it lit. For every person who tries
to scare you into behaving the way they behave, there is another who is
encouraging you to think through all the influencing factors and use those
ideas to determine how you'll behave.  Like everything else where you know
what you're doing and why you're doing it, there will be exceptions.

It's obvous what some of us do. That shouldn't influence you.

It's your call.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net