[VAC] Re: composites, glue etc.

not sure if it was in the late 70's or 80's that
Airstream started using glue in addition to rivets -
there are fewer rivets on the new ones.

so, I guess my point is that they can be had - Hunter
Hampton (AirstreamList on yahoo) has a trailer that
has had to be repaired, and they used a combination of
glue and rivets.  (as it was originally built.)

I guess I like the rivets - it's been tested for
(coming up on) 70 years with the old style airstreams.
 that's a dang good record for a travel trailer.  mine
just turned 42 and there is no evidence of panels
falling off, or (luckily) any leaks not due to broken
windows or vents.

BUT - the rivets are in there every inch or two - lots
of 'em and the pieces aren't going anywhere.

...the beauty of over-engineering...

Toby