[VAC] Re: gas additives?

Hi Jim,

I use a gas additive in my truck. Lubrigas is the name.
Does it work? Maybe yes, maybe no.
Oil changes (LOF) are another story. Every 3-4,000 miles? Yes! Yes!

Last month, the original 460 CID V8 in my 1978 Ford Van had almost 300,000
miles on it. 75% of those miles were from towing our 1977 31' or 1969 27'
Airstream around the continent for the past 20+ years.

That has all changed. On 10/02/01, I had a remanufactured engine installed
in our Ford Van. Today (11/21/01), the new engine has 2,400 miles on it. Of
those miles, 1400 were from towing our 8600 pound '77 31' Airstream to
Tampa, FL from Upstate NY.

Did I use Lubrigas during the first 500 break-in miles? Yes.
Will I use Lubrigas in the new engine? Yes.
Why?

Because, even as late as last Winter, our '78 Ford Van towed our '77 31'
Airstream15,000 miles throughout the southwest, including three round trips
over the Raton Pass (NM/CO state line) and easily kept up with other truck
traffic. The old engine was a veritable bear of persistent strength, even
though two cylinders weren't quite up to snuff.

It has been 50+ days since the remanufactured engine was installed in our
'78 Ford Van. So far, it has been sweet running, smooth and strong. Granted,
I haven't asked the engine to grunt, nor have I challenged it to pull our
Airstream over a real mountain.  There will be time for that during the next
20 years.

Or, as Shakespeare said, "To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at
first."

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net