[VAC] Whittle a deadbolt

Gerald, your comments reminded me of another whittling job that falls into the same category of
"not if, but when" you need it.

Years ago, one of our caravan mechanic friends provided a wood carving seminar where each caravaner
was given a piece of wood to carve a "deadbolt" that would marry to the grab handle with the outside
door frame >>>> by a simple twist of the wood <<<<. He started with a piece 5" x 1" x 1/2" soft
enough to whittle.

The wood is slipped in between the grab handle and outside skin with the groove facing up. After
sliding it down to the lower edge of the grab handle with the groove aligned with the grab handle,
it can be twisted toward me for a tight fit that won't jar loose.

A sample was given to each caravaner to hold in their hands, to try out on their Airstream door and
get an idea where and how deep to carve the groove so it will fit snugly inside of the grab handle.

After I finished mine, I put a eyelet in one end and keep it on a hook inside near the door. The
entire carving project took about 30 minutes and was simple to do. I use this piece of wood
routinely when traveling bumpy interstates and have used it by necessity three times after an inside
lock component broke and the latch no longer responded to my turning the door knob.

Since those incidents, I don't slam my door shut when I run outside for some little thing. I think
of my door knob/handle as needing firm and decisive, but loving and respectful treatment. I even
keep it well lubricated with graphite.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net