[VAC] Re: Argosy Question

My observation is that if you cannot see any corrosion on the exterior
you don't have any. You can certainly strip all the paint for repainting
but question if it is necessary.  The exterior of an Argosy can be
treated much like an auto and preping the existing paint for a new paint
coating is probably all that is necessary.  If the body of the trailer is
not peeling off that means you have a good undercoat and thus you will
actually take some risk in removing it unless you have a body shop that
really knows how to handle priming  aluminum.  The steel end caps can
also be sanded and repainted in similar fashion. I have repainted my
front cap twice. Originally the painted at flaked off at front and got it
repained.  They used a poor undcoating and it was coming off within a
short time and had to be stripped clean, recoated and repainted.  Not at
my expense however.

It is doubtful you need to reseal joints, at least on metal roof and side
paneling unless you already have known  leakage as the painting pretty
well does this.  You could have leakeage around the lower rub rails which
would show around floor on inside.  These can be chalked at the top.  I
had leakeage at rear of unit which was acombination of rub rail leakage
and  loss of seal between bumber storage unit and body of trailer. The
bumber storage lid funneled water right into the floor where the vulkem
seal had lost adhesion.
 You should also considered resealing around the vents and other roof
openings as after all these years the Vulkem sealer may not be as tight
as it should be.

Roy Lashway
'78 Argosy,'56 Bubble
WBCCI 1610     VAC