[VAC] Re: trailer brakes and brake fluid

After this last weekend, I have to agree with that.  I was just towing a
pop-up which weighs something less than 1000 pounds ....but DOESN'T have
brakes.  Going down a mountain, I had some problems with the brakes on the
car overheating and boiling the brake fluid. This didn't happen last summer
when I was towing my over 3000 pound Globe Trotter with the trailer brakes
working properly. Trailer brakes make a huge difference.

Doing some research into this weekend's brake problem, I discovered that it
is recommended to change the brake fluid every 2 years ...especially if
using DOT 3 brake fluid. I guess DOT 4 is slightly better.  This is
important if one intends to use a vintage tow vehicle like I was using (the
1968 Dodge). But ...it applies to newer vehicles also. The brake fluid
collects water over a period of time and it's boiling point lowers
drastically.  The moisture causes corrosion in the brake system which causes
the pips to rust out and the pistons to stick. . Old brake fluid can be very
dangerous! Different brands of brake fluid vary  also. DOT 5 brake fluid is
silicone based and doesn't collect water, but is compressible and harder to
bleed air out of.  You CAN'T use silicone fluid in a system that has any DOT
3 or 4 fluid in it .....it's NOT compatible!!!

In a few days, my vintage hauler will have new rear brake drums, shoes and
all new fluid. I'll certainly keep the trailer brakes hooked up and well
adjusted when I tow .....and now I wish the silly pop-up trailer had brakes
too.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html