[VAC] Re: Towing a 1968 17' Caravel -Tow vehicle improvements

A rear sway bar will make a dramatic difference in the roadability of the tow vehicle by itself, and with the trailer in tow.  It will keep the tow vehicle level (reduce lean) and improve stability significantly. The sway bar will not make the truck ride harder, just reduce lean and improve stability.  Check the size of the front sway bar.  You might want to replace it with a heavier duty one too.  The size (diameter of the bar) of the front bar will determine the size of the rear one.  Typically the rear bar is not as heavy as the front one.

There are two aftermarket sources (although Ford may also have them) Addco in Florida [(800) 338-7015], and Hellwig in Visalia, California [(800) 367-5480].

Another improvement would be a set of Koni or Bilstein adjustable shock absorbers, set a little stiffer than normal. This will not jar your teeth out, but it will keep the tow vehicle in better contact with the road.  If yor tires ar in need of replacement, get a set of Michelin LTX  M/S (Not all terrain) truck tires.  They are round, very strong and reliable, and roll very well.  Be sure to have them balanced on a Hoffman or FMC computer spin balancer.

R D Enterprises, El Cajon, CA [(800) 444-9768] is an excellent discount source of sway bars and high performance shock absorbers.  I bough a set of Bilsteins for my Chevy pickup from them a few years ago, and a set of Konis for my wife's Mercedes.

Oliver Filippi
ofilippi@earthlink.net