[VAC] Re: Towing a 1968 17' Caravel

Anti sway devices can be purchased just about anywhere hitches can.

There are basically three types of anti sway devices:

1. Friction bar. Attaches to frame of trailer and to a second (smaller) ball on the ball mount. Cheep. Approx $100. works well. not good in slippery conditions (but how often do you tow in snow or ice?). Bar will wear over a number of years and need to be replaced.

2. Dual Cam. This is made only by Reese. It works in conjunction with the equalizer bars. There is a part that bolts onto the trailer's frame, and a part to modify the equalizer bars. A bit more expensive. OK to use in all road conditions. Can be used with a friction bar. Approx cost $200. Cams may wear out after many years of use.

3. A different type of hitch. PullRite and Hensley are the two types that I am aware of. Most expensive option, $1000 plus. I would only suggest this route if you want to do some serious towing and are not satisfied with how the trailer handles using #'s 1 & 2.

Scott Scheuermann