[VAC] Re: Towing a 1968 17' Caravel

Jeff,
Although a shorter trailer usually tracks and handles better than a
longer one in most instances, I've found they all can make your knuckles
white in high winds, wet roads and when huge semis come at you going
fast on a two lane; or during high winds when the semis block the wind
when beside you and then hit you with wash and the prevailing winds as
the overtake and pass you.  Antisway systems are usually a not so
expensive addition to your existing tow system and they DO make a
difference.  I have towed 8 different vintage Airstreams, from 17 feet
to 28; with some pretty simple hitches with no antisway and it is no
fun.  For longer heavier units, weight distributing hitches matter a
lot, too. Check out the options of antisway bars for your hitch and get
one. Harvey Barlow just posted a really clear and astute description of
hitches and antisway information on the other list and I would copy it
and repost it but it is his and it might be construed as plagiarism. :^)
If he doesn't shoot it your way, contact me off list and I'll risk the
lawsuit and send it to you.
Tom Walden