[VAC] Re: WBCCI MEMBERSHIP

I understand they have a membership application on the WBCCI web site
(www.wbcci.org)    but think that just gives  you the form to print out
and mail into  An active membership sign up where you can use a credit
card would be a definite asset.

WBCCI is somewhere around 9500 folks which is about half what it was 20
years ago.  Folks keep passing on and new membership cannot keep up that
pace of loss (nearly a 1000 per year lately I have heard).  Airstream
RV's  and WBCCI  group activities have a lot of competition from less
expensive trailers and organizations that  now emulate the activities
started  by Wally B and perfected by WBCCI.  Motorhomes are also a big
competition and Airstream only moved into the MH mfg'g in the past few
years.  They  are still behind the curve in many respects.

Plus we need to face it, that the  overall  operation of WBCCI is kind of
moribund  and needs a good shot of vitality and infusion of fresh ideas
on how to do what they do successfully in a  more appealing way.  I am
not being critical but rather trying to be realistic.  I am convinced
that WBCCI will, in time, rise to the occasion but as it is said "It may
get worse before it gets better"   We don't seem to appeal to lot of the
new Airstream buyers.  Airstream still mfg and sells a lot of trailers
and MH but  a lot of buyers do not join or participate in WBCCI.  We also
seem to lack appeal to new buyers of used Airstream.

Part of the problem is NOT what we are doing -the club purpose and
activities  -  but the  way we go about doing them and particularly the
very poor way  we are  marketing WBCCI.  Our complacency in thinking  we
can sell ourselves on our past achievements,  reputations, etc.  is not
enough and is not working.   Where and how do we get this infusion of
vitality, etc.?   I suggest it is not going to come from the regional and
national officers of WBCCI who, although they work  hard at their
assignments and we must be thankful and appreciative of their efforts,
they are an-over-the-hill- gang  who at this stage in life shouldn't be
expected shoulder all the WBCCI operational burdens they do and who
should have a full time staff within WBCCI  to  provide a lot more help
then what has been provide in the past.  Important would be an Executive
Director given some authority and responsibility to propose things to
improve the organization.  I felt it was a real mistake for WBCCI to not
replace the executive director when he left. Instead they appointed his
wife to provide  leadership as the  Director of Administration while
still assuming  many of her previous duties.   The leadership slack was
to be picked up by the regular officers of WBCCI.  What should have been
done was  hire a professional "head hunting" firm to go out and find a
real hot-dog of a professional Executive Director, from outside of WBCCI,
who could bring fresh approaches and hustle to the organization.  There
are a lot of experienced executives within and without  the RV world who
could to fill this need. I don't think we can keep doing things the same
old way with the same old ideas. However, even before this can be done
the membership and leadership needs to redefine our  future goals and
purposes  that speak to our future needs and establishes the expectations
and goals of an executive director and staff and the officers of WBCCI.

Roy Lashway
'78 Argosy,'56 Bubble
WBCCI 1610     VAC
rlashway@zianet.com