[VAC] Re: Ceramic Heaters

I never tried a propane ceramic heater, but I have used some natural gas
heaters in our home. We have and old home and infiltration of fresh air
makes the CO problem less of an issue. These heaters throw very good radiant
heat. You can feel the radiant heat across the room. The ceramic glows
bright orange.  They seem to be extremely efficient.

Now the problems: These heaters have a flame and would definitely catch any
combustible materials on fire if it was to contact the ceramic. There is
only a wire screen in front of the ceramic, so this could be a problem. I
also have noticed an occasional odor problem with these heaters maybe due to
impurities in our natural gas supply. If I have been sick at all, these
heaters will sometimes cause a terrible, raw sore throat. Also, any odor,
such as shoe polish, paint fumes, etc. is converted into a noxious smell by
the heater.

The instructions that came with my ceramic heater said not to use them in
sleeping quarters. I believe that. I would NOT use one in my trailer!  In
our house, we don't run them constantly. We do have one in our bathroom and
it feels wonderful when you get out of the shower on a cold winter night!!

I have considered a catalytic heater for my trailer, but I'm waiting for
somebody to convince me that they are safe in an enclosed space. I know the
ceramic ones are NOT.
MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767