[VAC] Re: Radiant flooring

As I read through this thread on radiant flooring, a couple things come to mind.  One is, no manifold would be required, since the size of the floor is so small.  Typically, a manifold is required for square footage over 250 sq ft.  The nature of radiant heat is a very nice, even temperature (at 110 or so degrees), but has slow recovery (doesn't react very fast).  Electrical needs (or propane needs) to run it would be pretty high, so boondocking would be difficult for any length of time.  But something that would be really cool, which I've installed in houses, is a chiller system, in which cold (refrigerated) water cools the floor surface.  If someone could rig up a refrigerator condensing coil that is propane fired, that would be large enough to cool around 200 sq ft, then you've really got something.  So if you're going to do radiant floor heating, why not radiant floor cooling at the same time?

There is a company that makes in-line, propane-fired hot water heaters.  Something like that might cut down on the time it takes to heat up a floor.  Otherwise, you'll have to drive down the road with the heat turned on for several hours, so the coach will be warm when you reach your stopping point.

Ken Reed
'57 Bubble