[VAC] Re: Ceramic Heaters

Hi Arden,

1 - Yes, we have some experience with a propane ceramic heater. We bought a 10,000 BTU ceramic
heater for our 32' Airstream at Quartzite two years ago. It was used daily for two Winters while
traveling 21 states on mainland Mexico, both states on the Baja Peninsula and all nine southern
states in the USA. The 32' also has a factory installed 30,000 BTU heater and a solar panel to keep
the batteries charged daily.

2 - Yes, we have some experience with propane catalytic heaters. This Winter, we're towing a 31'
Airstream with a 6100 BTU catalytic heater that I installed 15+ years ago. We've used this Airstream
while Snowbirding the southern states. The 31' also has a factory installed 30,000 BTU heater and
solar panels to keep the batteries fully charged daily.

3 - In our '67 22' Safari, we have a 6100 BTU catalytic heater that's been used lightly. That
catalytic heater has been more than adequate during cold Springtime trips into the Adirondack
Mountains of New York and the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. There is a factory installed furnace that
all by itself, would enable us to be comfortable in single digit temperatures. This rig also has
solar panels to keep the batteries fully charged daily.

4 - In our '63 22' Flying Cloud, we have a 3100 BTU catalytic heater, a propane lamp and no furnace
(it died on the previous owner who then removed it). The catalytic heater and lamp can keep this
Airstream toasty at temperatures not lower than 32 degrees.

5 - Comparisons and Ventilation:

The ceramic and catalytic heaters have consistently kept our Airstreams warm. A fan installed
high in a corner of both our 32' and 31' Airstream helps distribute ceiling heat throughout the
coach. I believe either heater will do the job well for you during cold weather.

Recently, snow and freezing rain on our 31' Airstream near Albuquerque prompted us have our 30,000
BTU factory heater tested, cleaned and upgraded. It now has a beautiful blue flame and is ready to
keep interior pipes and holding tanks warm no matter how cold. Both 40# propane bottles are full.

Two nights ago in Deming, NM, temperatures were below freezing for eight hours. This coming weekend,
the forecast is for single digits. Next week, we'll know if our heating decisions were good ones.

Within the last two months, we have enjoyed mild, sunny weather at Pearl Main's courtesy parking in
Southern Californa, hot days at Slab City in Niland, CA and warm nights on BLM land in Yuma and Why,
AZ. We already miss that kind of weather and may go back after the holidays.

If you want the option of using your Airstream in very cold Winter weather, you might consider
pulling that furnace out and taking it to a dealer for bench testing, cleaning and upgrading. It
could be an inexpensive, but worthwhile service call.

In past discussions on the VAC list, members have mentioned the need for ventilation when using
either of these heaters. Our decision about how much ventilation to provide is made on the basis of
several factors.

Among them are how cold and how windy it is outside; how many naturally occurring gaps are evident
around the entrance door, windows, compartment doors and roof vents; how many times I've opened the
door to go outside; and how many hours the heater has been running. Thirty years ago when we began
using a catalytic heater and were inexperienced, we followed rigid, non-thinking, dogmatic rules
about ventilating the Airstream. Now that we have an acute awareness of ventilation details about
each Airstream, we use that data to determine the adjustments needed.

For example, in our '67 22' Safari, the refrigerator is on the floor and has a long narrow door
along the bottom which, when opened, leads to a large, direct opening through the floor to outdoors
(via a mouse screen). That trailer has more naturally occurring ventilation volume than any of our
four Airstreams. We make different decisions when using it than when using our 32' with the drafty
wall beside the refrigerator. We make different decisions when using our 31' with one (out of 3)
drafty compartment door, a drafty entrance door and an overhead vent that won't close tightly.

Bottom line is we have a detailed and highly differentiated awareness of ventilation needs for each
Airstream. With that knowledge, we can figure out how to get maximum benefit from the heater and at
the same time, provide a healthy volume of breathable fresh air for both of us and our two cats.

Hope these few ideas help,

Terry

PS
We are towing our '77 31' Excella 500 with a 6100 BTU catalytic heater, a 30,000 BTU factory
heater and 2 small 120 volt cube heaters for when we have electric hookups. We may use any or all of
them when temperatures are in single digits for several days.

While boondocking on BLM land at high altitudes with tempertures in the teens, our three deep cycle,
marine batteries and three solar panels get a strong workout. You didn't ask, but I'd suggest more
than one source of heat and lighting. The name of the game is confidence in your options and choices
for comfortable living under all conditions (plus a healthy humbleness for any shortcomings you may
not have noticed). Paraphrasing Clint Eastwood, we know our limits.