Re: [VAC] restoration update - '49 Clipper

Hi Tuna:

Further to RJ's advice, please let me offer this:

In order to make it even EASIER on yourself, please note that the proper
drill size for 1/8" pop rivets is a #28 drill (0.1485 as opposed to
0.1250).  If you use this drill you will find that the rivet heads will
disengage as the drill goes through remainder of the rivet and workpiece,
and the head will crawl right up the drill bit (usually).  The slightly
larger diamter of the bit also eliminates the binding situation often
found when installing an 1/8" rivet in a 1/8" (0.1250) hole.

The proper drill for the Olympic rivet (#6607-5-5) is a #20 (0.1610), as
opposed to 5/32" (0.1562).  The rivet is 0.1610" max.

I have had reasonable sucess grinding the heads off of the round head
original and Olympic rivets with my Dremel tool with the sanding drum.
This is also what I use to grind off the remaining stub (after clipping
off with a side cutter) on the Olympics.  You see, I'm too cheap to fork
over the cash for a Olympic rivet shaver (~$180).  My method is not a
precise as a real shaver, but for that kind of money...it ain't bad if
you're careful.

If you have other rivet sizes or types...Can't offer anything.

Later,

GQ'67 Safari