Re: [VAC] Hello

Hi Jeff,

1 - Suggest you start with Tom Patterson's archives - all 7,000 of them.
Pick any topic you want to know more about and follow the threads.
The first time you go to the website, do an overview and get the hang of using it.
http://www.tompatterson.com/Streamline/Airstreamlist/Spares7.html

2 - Stay subscribed to this list for a year. It's okay to lurk and listen (read).
Start your own system of filing ideas you might use in the future on your hard drive or zip drive.
Figure out how to unsubscribe temporarily while you visit the in-laws, etc., etc., but resubscribe
when you return home. It's simple to do and many of us are on and off a dozen times a year.

3 - When your email is light, surf the vintage net and get familiar with everything. There are many
pictures of restored Airstreams. After you have been reading the mail awhile, you'll find more email
addresses for pictures, especially interiors. In some cases, the owner has text describing the
details.

4 - Post one question at a time on this list.
That makes it easier to answer and to keep the subject line consistent for those who archive.
Someone will get back to you - just as you found out with the tambour door question. Your univolt
question is covered extensively in Tom's archives. Reading them will give you a running start until
one of our members replies directly to your question.

Remember, the only time you'll look dumb is when you have a question and don't ask it. None of us
knows everything and all of are constantly learning. For example, earlier this week, I learned there
is a wooden plug in the shallow cabinet over my refrigerator ('67 22' Safari) that is the access
hole for checking the flue cap. I had never noticed that. If it ever stops raining here in the
northeast, I'm going to investigate that and will probably have a question or two of my own.

Jeff, there are about 260 of us in this discussion group. Some of us travel the continent during the
Fall, Winter and Spring (Snowbirds) and don't collect our email everyday, so be patient if you don't
get a reply promptly and don't be surprised to get replies a week or two after you posted a note.
Generally, you'll receive replies the same day you post your note.

You made a good choice when you chose an Airstream. They restore well and easily last several
generations. Take your time and always do one thing every single day with your rig, even if it's
only to sit in it and dream about what you want to do. Everyone has a different pace for restoring.
Many of us are never done and are always modifying or upgrading our silver treasures.

Terry
'77 31' Excella 500

Sources relating to restoring/maintaining Airstreams
http://www.vac.airstream.net
http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/4868/
http://www.escapees.com
Blaine Window Hardware 800-678-1919 for catalog