Re: [VAC] plumbing

Phil,
 I would NEVER run a piece of copper if I could use plastic. I'm
probably just as much an "old timer" as you, but I've also been using
plastic plumbing for over 30 years, mostly CPVC (glue-together stuff).
The air lines in my shop are CPVC, and they handle 100+ PSI easily. It's
beyond me why anyone would want to subject themselves to working with
torches in confined spaces, etc.

Small diameter plastic will stand a LOT of pressure; I have some 1/4" OD
plastic tubing that's stamped "1200 PSI" right on it.

Mind you, if I have to replace or repair part of an existing copper
system, I'd use copper. But, if I was starting over, it'd be
all-plastic. No corrosion problems, no breakage due to vibration, less
chance of breakage due to freezing, etc. The latter is an important
feature: plastic WILL break under certain freezing conditions, but it's
much more resistant than copper. My experience is that if a short piece
freezes, but both ends are open, you'll almost always get away w/o
breakage, even with repeated freezings. All bets are off if it's longer
and freezes all the way to the elbows on the ends of the run. Again, my
statements on freezing are based on personal experience with plastic
pipes that have frozen and NOT broken, and some that have frozen and
split.

                                                              <<Jim>>