Re: [VAC] Thinking out loud..

Hi, Nick, I have some thoughts on this also.  I am going to my local unit's
get together in July and meeting these folks for the first time.  I am the
only Vintage member and I am wondering how I am going to fit in.
I think most of us would have had a lot in common with the people in the book
that you mention but perhaps the present owners of new AS are the same
people, just older and more conservative?  I wonder if the amount of money
spent on a new AS today is comparative to what a new one cost in 1960?  I
have a feeling that todays are more expensive and aimed toward a different
lifestyle, more of the "let's take it all with us" type than the "let's go
have an adventure type".  I cannot imagine owning one of the new ones. Can
you imagine one of the new ones in Africa? or in the streets of a European
city?
 I don't remember when I first became aware of the AS - 60s maybe- but I have
wanted one ever since.  I finally got one in 1985 and still own it and it
will go to my kids when I can no longer use it.  As someone said on this list
- even when it is in the back yard, it represents freedom.
After I meet the group in Durango, I will give you another report on the
likness, difference in the groups.  One thing I have found is that they all
seem to be friendly so far, and helpful.  I couldn't get to the Memoral Day
gathering that I had signed up for and I got a personal note from the folks
holding the next one, hoping I could get there.

Just Plain Polly
1964 Globetrotter
WCBBI  7113