Re: [VAC] Thinking out loud..

I think I ought to get my 2 cents worth in here. In regard to the costs of
Airstreams in the good old days. I was an active RVer in the 70s when my
present 75 Airstream 31 sovereign was new. I can tell you they were just as
expensive then as they are now in comparable dollars. I stayed at several
retiree parks in Scottsdale AZ in the seventies and the Airstreams were all
owned by well fixed retiree's. My 1975 31 ft Sovereign cost $13,750 dollars
in 1975. I have the original Bill of Sale. Airstreams were designed for 2
people with an occasional guest. They were designed for retired couples with
money and time on their hands who didn't like cold weather. At the same time
I was camping in a 1973 Fan Lee Liner that cost 3200 dollars. A good 31 foot
SOB trailer cost in the range of 5500-6500 dollars. The Airstream was and is
a prestige item and catered to as it does now, well to do retiree's.

I think the only thing that has changed is now there is a demand for old
"vintage" Airstreams. Don't get me wrong, I am just as taken by the good
looks and durability of an Airstream. I have wanted one since I saw them in
1973 and now I have one.

Dave Carr
WBCCI 2275
VAC