[VAC] Thinking out loud..

I had a thought tonight, while thumbing through my new book "Airstream, The
History of the Land Yacht."  It's a wonderful book, and a must have for all
Airstreamers.

I don't mean to ramble on about nothing, but let me ramble on about nothing!

I couldn't help but notice all the folks who were caravanning together, looked
like they were all so self sufficient, and happy.  One thing that is not as
obvious, is that these were the newest trailers of the day.  These were not
"vintage" rigs.  These were folks that had newer to new Airstreams.

I see that they had many road marks on them.  Scratches, dents, and the owners
even painted dates and places they'd been! Some were painted white on top, some
all over, to keep things cooler, I guess.  Imagine doing that to your vintage!
These folks really used, and enjoyed their trailers!  I really admire them.
You can see how nice folks dressed back then too.

I have never really spoken to any new Airstream owners, save one.  I wonder..what
are they like?  Do they share the same verve for self sufficiency as the VACS?
 I would guess yes, but with many less problems?

Did I come into Vintage Airstream ownership the "usual" way?  I never owned
a camper before, just a tent, or a truck. I just started looking at new SOB's,
and didn't like what I saw.  I looked at a new AS, couldn't afford it, so I
started working backwards in years (and joined this list) until I found an affordable
one. (of course , the success rate is dependent on the buyers skill at shopping..affordable
may not be the longer term experience, unfortunately.)

 How many of you started with new Airstreams, then found a love of restoring
older ones, or owned SOB's first.

Yes, very interesting to see these old pictures. (no offense to any of you who
were pictured in the book..old I mean)

Can you picture this same book 40 years from now showing big AS slide-outs...think
the new ones will last 40 years.  Hmmm..

Just thinking out loud

Nick
'68 Safari....a diamond in the rough.
VAC WBCCI #2577

and thanks to all who have emailed me with suggestions for my fixes!