Re: [VAC] To Dull Shiny Aluminum (ah sacrilege)

I think this idea of Tryke's is an interesting suggestion with practical
(less work), historic (they were not, after all, originally shiny) and
esthetic (personal opinion; I particularly like the contrasting shiny
rivets and chromed elements) merit.

Besides wanting to first experiment (or see a sample), though, I'd want
to know more about long term effects. With a surface that is neither
buffed nor protected (as with Plasticoat), are various kinds of corrosion
more likely? Will it collect streaks or discolorations that require
frequent attention? Does the process remove enough material to become a
problem after repeated treatments (every few years?) or regular touch-ups
of scratch- or streak-prone areas?

And, Tryke: what grade (color) Scotch Bright did you use? Any lubricant
or polish? I'm not familiar with he term "mouse sander": is this a
palm-type finishing sander, or a detail sander or...? Orbital, rotary or
straight line?

Wow: no flames! Just lotsa questions!

Rob