Re: [VAC] wd 40 and #0000 steel wool?

Hi Mark , and welcome to the List.  Unfortunately, your 1949 Curtis
Wright, is not an Airstream. Before the war, and just after the war,
Curtis Wright made a few trailers, that looked like Airstreams, then in
48 or 49, maybe 1950, Curtis sold the trailer operation to Silver
Streak.  Your coach probably has an oval front and rear window, with a
frame support in the center.  Those are called "Split Windows", and that
plus the ID plate, is the only way I know, to distinguish the Curtis
Wrights from the late 40's Airstreams.

As far as polishing with steel wool, ....
don't do it.  Use a good Aluminum polish, like Rolite, and go for it.
If you have a large amount of corrosion, or deep blems or scratches,
then a little #0000 steel wool might help you.  Aluminum is soft, and
scracthes easily.   "Polishing" is the same as scratching, or abrading.
In order to get a bright , mirror polish, you must use a very soft and
smooth pad, plus a very fine and creamy polish.   There are over a dozen
types and grades of Aluminum polish, but so far, I think Rolite is the
best.
Good Luck.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi