[VAC] LP connector

I discovered that my copper propane line had been crushed under the tongue (somehow)
so I cut it.  Now I am tryinh to replace the old brass 18 inch flex hose, with
something longer, to fit to the cut/new flare.  I am having serious trouble.
 I have gone to Home Depot, a local propane company, a hose company, and no
one seems to know how, or what I should use to make the connection again!  I
am totally confused.

The hose place said all they deal with is 3/8, the propane company said "liability"
is the reason they don't make custom lengths, and Home Depot is really frustrating!

I have a flare tool, and the old flare nut, that I will install at the end of
my cut copper pipe. I just need the connector, which must be longer now.  I
guess flex pipe is no longer used?  The rubber tubing is OK? My old flex is
5/8 I believe.  What's the skinny on LP?

I am headed west out RT78 by Kutztown tomorrow, then down I81 toward Bristol,VA.
 Are there any recommended AS/RV dealers near an exit?

Nick
'68 Safari
WBCCI  VAC