Re: [VAC] Outrigger, '66 Sovereign

I too noticed these 2 1/2 inch vertical slices in the skins.  I have them both
curb, and street side, both forward, and aft of the wheel.  Seems like it had
been going on for years by the look of it.  I think the whole coach rocks while
traveling.

I really didn't get under and look('cuz I was in the middle of some other project),
but I will soon.

I spent most of the day today lying on top, scraping off what looked like the
original caulking from the factory, around the three vents.  Thirty two years
old! This had grow hard at the edges, and still soft inside.  It was like a
strip of putty about 1 1/2 inch wide applied to the overlap.  There were many
age holes where the caulk retreated, and left small openings where water could
get in.

Unfortunately, I think a past owner never really looked up there, and when water
migrated down into the inner skins, it must have looked like the windows were
leaking.  So he caulked, and caulked, and caulked some more. This didn't work,
so he bought those cheap aluminum "guards," and drilled holes, and installed
it with steel sheet metal screws.

I guess that didn't stop the leak, so he caulked the vents, canopy strip, door
rain guard..etc..etc..everything but the vents <g>  Not funny!

I spent lots of time removing all the caulk.  Maybe sometime soon I'll get to
caulking myself..but it sure seems like the original design was holding up pretty
good.  Actually I really couldn't see how the windows/door would leak.  Only
through the glass/rubber gasket seal..maybe.

This guy drilled holes....I hate to admit it...right through rivets under the
danged guard.  Sheesh.

Skins were plenty strong enough for my 210 pounds..as long as I was careful.

She may not be much, but she's mine!

Nick
'68 Safari