Re: [VAC] Bubble update

Hi, Jim:

         Good explanation.
         Regarding the breakaway-actuating cable, I've been to seminars
where they teach that the cable should be *shorter* than the safety chains,
and attached to the tow vehicle, not the hitch platform.  The idea is that
if your platform breaks (they -DOT - found, I think, 10 cracked platforms
at the Florida rally in Sarasota, out of a total of about 650 RVs, not all
trailers), your brakes will apply.
         Similarly, in a different situation, if your hitch ball breaks
loose, the breaks will apply and keep the trailer behind you.  If the cable
is longer than the safety chains, then a detached trailer ball will leave
the trailer, w/o brakes, attached to your tow vehicle.
         Is this teaching wrong?  It sounds right to me.

Hoping never to test the theory,

- Dick
(5368)