Re: [VAC] Bubble update

Ken,
 Federal Law requires a breakaway system on trailer brakes, it's not an
option or up to your opinion. A couple of other points:

There is no way in hell that your truck can stop that trailer adaquetly,
it is only a matter of time before it bites you. With no trailer brakes,
the rig will jackknife in a hard stop; again, it's only a matter of time
before you're presented with that situation.

The reason for the breakaway system is that you want your trailer to not
become a free spirit in the event of hitch failure. I'm unsure of the
proper length of the breakaway actuator connection, but I set mine up to
actuate the brakes only in the event of safety chain failure. As long as
the trailer is still attached to the tow vehicle, the actuator will not
apply the trailer brakes.

Install electric brakes on your trailer before you make the first trip,
for your safety and that of the folks you share the road with. Please:

                                 <<Jim>>

                       <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
                                <<jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>>
                               <<lower SE Michigan, USA>>