Re: [VAC] Bubble update

Dick,
 My breakaway actuating chain is attached to the bumper of my truck, NOT
the hitch assembly.

FWIW:, my belief is that as long as the trailer is still attached to my
truck in any way, it's safer for all concerned for me to be able to pull
to the side of the road under a controlled condition. If the brakes are
applied, one of two things is going to happen:

1. The safety chains will break, causing the trailer to careen off on
its own. Or:

2. Force me to an immediate stop, with no chance to get out of that
middle of 3 or 4 lanes of traffic, no chance for others to avoid me,
etc.

I frankly don't care at all if the trailer is banging into the back of
my truck, that really isn't endangering anyone to amount to anything.
Even if the propane tanks hit the truck, they'll likely break loose and
either dangle by their hoses or go off on their own. The danger of fire
or explosion is minimal in either case. Anyway, I'd rather have my rig
burn to the ground than to have someone hit my runaway trailer.

Not having tested either scenario (trailer brakes applied while it's
still attached to the tow vehicle or only after a complete breakaway), I
can't personally tell you which is better, but I'm still convinced that
my way is.

BTW: there's a couple of other points to be made while we're on the
subject of hitches, etc:

Your hitch ball should be a one-piece solid type, not the kind with a
bolt running through it. The shank should be at least 1" diameter, not
3/4". It should be rated for the load. Many Vintage trailers use a 2"
hitch ball where the newer ones use a 2 5/16", so it's doubly important
that you use a good one. Also, keep it greased!

After hitching up, raise the tounge with the jack until you see the rear
of your vehicle start to rise. That way, you KNOW it's latched the way
it should be.

                                 <<Jim>>

                       <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
                                <<jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>>