Re: [VAC] Bubble update

Sissy,
 Some regulations regarding brakes are State mandates, so vary with
where you live.

In British Columbia, the limit on a towed vehicle's weight is 1000#
before it MUST have brakes. The local police pull over motorhomes with
Toads, and if the car doesn't have brakes that are applied by the M.H.'s
brakes, you will disconnect it *right there* before proceeding.

I've talked with several M.H. drivers who pull Toads, most all of them
without a braking system. "Hell, with this 30,000# motorhome, I don't
even notice that that car is back there. I don't need no stinkin'
brakes!" Betcha those guys would be surprised at the increase in
stopping distance that that unbraked 3000# causes them in an emergency
situation.

Studies have shown that nearly all traffic accidents are caused by
multiple factors; take away any one and the accident probably wouldn't
have happened.

IE: you're tired, trying to make it home at the end of a long last day
of your trip with your A/S. It's raining, and you suddenly notice that
traffic in front of you is stopped. You climb on the binders of your
Ford Ranger, with no brakes on the A/S to help, and you're next day's
headlines.

Causes? Tiredness/inattention, rain, inadaquet tow vehicle, no brakes on
the trailer. Remove any of them and you'd probably have gotten away with
it. Moral of the story is to give yourself as much leeway as you can.

                                       <<Jim>>

                       <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
                                <<jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>>
                               <<lower SE Michigan, USA>>