Re: [VAC] Hitch Replacement on Pipe Frame

Elisa,

Knowing how to weld is something that I wish that I knew how to do. But, since I
know of others that do know I've never gotten around to it.
Now I've heard of paper shredders......but aluminum shredding?  I know just what
you mean. I've seen some pretty rugged looking bottom pans
myself........fortunately not on any of my own units.
I've never taken a close look under the old '47 as of yet. I've only had it for
around five years now and don't want to rush a good thing!  (:  Actually during
that time I've done work on the Bambi and the 1972 31ft. unit so I've not been
too very slothful. Just setting my priority schedule and the old one was on the
back burner. I've moved it up some so in the next year or so it should be
getting some work done on it.
Take a look under your unit and see if the belly skin is riveted on. If it is
just drill out the rivets and the skin should drop down. What I'm wondering
about is where it attaches on the edges. If it is tucked up under the side metal
that will have to be delt with. This is where cutting might come in.
To replace the shredded metal your boyfriend might know of a good aluminum
source. Even appropriate used metal would work if need be.
The reason I've put off working on the 1947 is that I know that I'll have a big
job to get it into the shape that I want it in. Bud Cooper, the founder of the
Vintage Airstream Club, did major work on his old 40's unit. Even had a new
frame made up from scratch and a whole new floor put down over the new frame.
Then he lifted the trailer's body off the old and on the new. And that was just
the start!!  He now has a terrific old unit that he uses heavily. I just might
do what Bud has done.......but then again I'm not sure. I do have a limited
budget to work with. Time will tell.
If the back half of the belly was ripped and shredded from dragging you might
want to take a close look at the frame in the rear as well as the front. If
there are any problems your welder friend should be able to help you out. It's
sure nice to have friends like that!
Have fun!!

Pat