Re: [VAC] Hitch Replacement on Pipe Frame

Elisa,

Good morning........good question.
The old Airstreams with the pipe frames were a little weak and my understanding
is that they tend to break at times back under the belly pan. With the age
added to a weak frame to begin with my suggestion is to remove the front of the
belly pan if needed to carefully inspect the pipe frame under the trailer. Look
for major rust troubles, cracks, etc.
My old '47 at one time had a "V" front added to the pipe frame. I assume that a
previous owner had frame troubles and reinforced in this manner. I've only
towed this unit locally several times and before I get down to serioue use of
this unit I plan on dropping the pan and taking a look see at the frame myself.
I don't ever want to lose a trailer from behind the tow vehicle going down the
Interstate at high speeds.....even 55 mph is high speed if this happens.
Someone could get hurt, to say the least.
By "hitch" geing shot I assume you mean the part that attaches to the hitch
ball on the tow rig. These are very easy to come by, but will need to be
weilded on. You might have a fellow in your neighborhood that goes around with
a portable welder in the back of a truck. He could take a look at your
trailer's frame as well if you don't feel comfortable in doing so. Just
remember that your trailer's frame is it's foundation and to have a good
foundation is most important.
Please don't be "afraid" of this.........just inspect & deal with it in a
proper manner so that it's strong........and all should go well.
Have fun....   (:

Pat