RE: [VAL] Toilet Ring

-----Original Message-----

I took a long piece of
flat metal and cut it out on one end to fit the notches.

Dan,
I had the same problem with my '69. I finally had to cut the metal part into
small pieces with a grinder and then I could get at the other parts. After I
removed the pieces of metal flange I could take a hacksaw blade and cut the
plastic threaded part into several pieces to remove it. Being really careful
to cut barely deep enough into the threads to release the male threaded part
from the female threaded part. Every so often, during the process of cutting
things to pieces, I tried to twist the plastic flange off but not until I had
seriously separated parts was I able to remove it.
Slow and careful, not to cut the main part or rip out the connection to the
tank when twisting, that's the way to go.
cheers, bill b.