[VAL] City Parks - free

Hi Gang,

One of the things Sandie and I are often asked is: "How do you find
those free city and county parks that are scattered all across the
continent?"

Our usual answer: It's a combination of word of mouth (barbershop,
garage, grocery store, other RVers), Day's End listings (SKP CD),
noticing weathered signs in villages, towns and small cities, reading
every local brochure we get our hands on -- and for the last 20 years
- subscribing to free internet newsletters whenever there's the
slightest hint of discussion about campgrounds.

Some of those newsletters might at first seem far afield to RVing,
but we've learned they are not. For example, as casual kayakers,
enthusiastic sunfish sailors and canoeists, wannabe astronomers,
seasoned mountain climbers, sunny day fishermen, vintage tow vehicle
owners and haphazard photographers; we've found many people with
these same interests at free campsites. And they too, are members of
Yahoo groups and write blogs and publish digital newsletters.

This evening, one of those newsletters popped up in my email inbox.

http://www.roadnotes.com/taxonomy/term/33

What is most convenient for me about this particular website is the
breakdown by states. I clicked on Nebraska and found two free
campsites not in our memory banks. I chose Nebraska mainly because we
found more free RV parking spots in that state than any other - when
we first started collecting this kind of data.

If today was 20 years ago and we were just starting out as RVers with
the goal of visiting each state on the continent for a month or two
months, I'd set up a file folder in my laptop similar to the format
of Road Notes or the format used by the SKP CD.

This could provide a logical way to compile data and at the same time
be readily available to "consult" - regardless of where we happened
to be on the continent.

Being systematic about it could also extend into carrying specific
brochures or booklets, i.e. Airstream Parks, COE CGs, Elkdom
Directories, SKP Parks, courtesy parking, BLM lands, businesses that
welcome RVers overnight, etc., etc..

Although free parking spots can be delightful, we don't shy away from
spending upwards to $8 a night occasionally when hookups are
available or when chilly weather is forecast.

Instead of carrying one heavy telephone size book of CGs with prices
to match, I find it just as easy to carry smaller directories in one
or two brief cases organized for that purpose.

If any of these ideas are useful to any one, be my guest. They're
yours. If not, hit the delete button and forget I mentioned it.

Reminiscing while reorganizing for our next extended travels the Fall,

Terry
Upstate New York and
Treasure Coast Florida
'89 32' Excella