Re: [VAL] Bargman 99 lens FINAL UPDATE 6-11-08

I was holding off on this message until Eddie completed setting up
everything with Mark Schick on the Bargeman 99 lenses.

However, I noted a couple of days ago that actually these same lenses had
been discussed on the Vintage Airstream list back in February 2004, and a
copy of the messages, along contact information and a picture of one of the
lens is contained on my website.  You can see all of this at:
http://208.109.117.138/VAC/MHonArc/2004_02/msg00235.php.

I do not know if the 2004 e-mail address is still current.

Whatever, I mention this to remind you that the website is a resource that
many just plain overlook.  A search using the search engine on the home page
of the site would have turned up this Bargeman lens information for anyone
who looked.

Now, I know that there are several problems with the current site search.
It is slow, and not up to date with all messages.  This particular item was
however in the database.

The search speed is being addressed.  Within the next month or so I will be
moving the site to a different server, and I hope that some of the speed
problems will then be resolved.  The current server is a Pentium 3 machine
with only 6 gb of space, so is getting on the old side.  I have been
migrating data over to the new site for the past month or so, and in the
process, doing a little housecleaning as well as reinstalling programs.

There should be minimal downtime when the changeover is made - several days,
in the worst case senario.  I have been testing programs as I go, and
hopefully will be able to get the changeover made fairly quickly.

I am making the search facilities easier.  There will still be the Glimpse
search engine which is the one currently being used.  It will have more
memory to work with.  Additionally, there will be a search engine called
"Zoom" available within individual sections of the site, such as say the
Vintage Airstream messages.  With all that, you should be able to find
things like the Bargeman lens through the site.

-Tom