Re: [VAL] centramatic wheel balancers

Scott, i would give it a  try

On the way to Vermont in 2003 I blew a tire and was forced to buy 2
tires in Rhode Island.   I ended up with 2 ten ply rated Titans and
the dealer installed 3 ounces of a product called EQUAL tire powder
in each tire to balance them.  You can find them on the web.  It is a
polymer product which will not absorb water, can be installed through
the valve stem, and a filtered tire valve is used.  It sounds much
like the product you are looking at.  The Titan tires made it back
from Vermont and the tires and wheels were transferred from the 54
trailer when it was sold to the 61 tradewind.  The Titans have worn
perfectly, my current gas light Mantle was installed in Florida and
is still in place after 3000 miles, indicating to me that there are
no vibration problems.  I know the equal product is used by big
trucks, and I have also talked to a few motor home folks that use
it.  Most tire dealers you ask have no idea what it is.  I am not
sure how many miles I  have on the Titans with equal in them but they
have been to 5 internationals and a number of other long trips.
I am inclined to think it works.

Since Trailer axle makers, at Least Dexter, who I Have had
discussions with, do not balance the drums this may well be a viable
answer.  The Dexter I put on my 54 was so out of balance one had to
only let go of the drum and it would rotate to the same place each
time.  Dexters suggestion was find a shop with the old spin balancer
that did the wheel and hub as an assembly on the vehicle, but I
haven't seen one of those things in at least 20 years.

My personal feeling is a lot of tire failures on trailers can be
blamed on unbalance drums beating the tire to death and causing the
tread to seperate.
I have also long believed that nobody out there makes a decent
trailer tire, but so far the Titans  appear to be making me eat my words.
My Michelins on the truck run over 100k,  seems  we should not have
so much trouble with trailer tires.

While on the subject of tires,  Since the big Firestone tire recall
around 2000, the  makers seem to be nervous.   The tire that blew on
the way to Vermont was a Nankang, (obviously a well known american
brand)  It had a  800 number on it.. I called to report the failure
of this three year old tire, intending to do nothing more than let
them know there might be a problem..  The west coast importer
immediately offered me 2 new tires and a UPS pick up order for the old ones.

On the way too the salem international, i noticed that i had a broken
belt on one of the replacements they had sent (the Titans are on the
other axle)  Once again I had to buy tires on the road, but when i
called them They again sent me 2 new tires of another brand and
another pick up order, and explained they no longer carried Nankang..

These thing always happen right after leaving home so if any of you
ever wondered why I always seem to have tires tied to the  top of the
pickup cap, there is the answer.

If you have a premature tire failure it may be worth your while to complain.

Rick Davis 1602
Currently near Arches National Park , with no tire trouble