Re: [VAL] 1953 Cruiser Potable water tank and more questions.

Warren,
Although the aluminum tank can be welded, or even whole panel patched and
welded using the HTS-2000 rod I sent the link for, I personally prefer the
white
plastic tank for potable water. The white plastic tanks are readily
available in most sizes. The cost will be around $100 by the time you add
shipping cost. If ordering a tank you can specify size, position, and
clocking of the various connection points. I did. My last tank was about 45
gallon and as I remember the tank was about $60 and the shipping was
outrageous at about $33 thru Atlas RV here in Houston. I have seen tanks
regularly on eBait and they were about $40 and the shipping was about $20. I
will look to that next time since the first tank was $70 for a smaller
in-stock and the last was the $90. The ePay seller looked to be very
professional.

I have considered using 12" PVC schedule 40 or even scraps of the heavier
wall blue, both often available for free with a little hunting, but buying
two end caps are terribly expensive and the cost gets right back to the cost
of the white plastic tank. The end caps are plenty thick and strong to be
drilled and tapped for fitting connections, but if you don't have the taps
you will spend too much for those.

I have had holding tanks made of stainless for a lifetime of service, but
again the black abs tanks are far more cost effective than the stainless.
The stainless potable water tank is the only metal that won't be affected by
the fresh water or sanitizing, but again it is too costly versus the
available white
plastic.

It would be practically impossible to keep dry or totally empty an aluminum
tank when not in use and the water will make the white corrosion spots where
 water remains in the tank and eventually corrode thru. You perhaps have
seen a typical aluminum cooking pot or coffee pot left too long with
standing water and have seen the results I am trying to describe. The white
plastic tanks can be bleach sanitized anytime and after sitting, for clean
potable water usage, but the aluminum will not do well with the bleach
sanitizing
without a lot of flushing, so I continue to use  the white plastic on my
coaches. I also like it that there is some visibility thru the tank to be
able to actually see water volume and some cleanliness condition. I use the
typical Par Pump at 2.8 gpm. I have been extremely warned about the failures
of the solid state controlled "smart pumps".

Just my thoughts on it and what I do.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX