Re: [VAL] latches on GTs

Was a round plastic sort of knurled grip style knob, maybe black only in 50
to 61 ? Airstream 7 panel whatever that means.

Same knob is white in Silver Streak. Was used on tall closet doors. Was
common then. The knob has a fixed ornamental gold color steel mounting base
uses three screws to surface affix. Knob and it's latching post hangs over
the door edge. Metal post from the self-return twist knob has hook barb on
two opposite sides and fully smooth round on two opposite sides. The post
would click into a separate small receiver also surface mounted by two
screws on the cabinet opening face. The receiver came in at least two sizes,
one using a spacer for thicker doors enabling the short post length to
engage the latch receiver. The spacer was relatively hidden behind the
receiver small metal housing and was a color-match plastic.

Silver Streak motor home uses one for the rear bathroom closet door. Silver
Streak trailer uses four in the center bath rear bed room model of the
Luxury Liner for the four closet doors. All were white. I have seen
Airstream using two, three and four depending on the number of doors. All
Airstreams I have ever seen were in Black Plastic knob, never in white so I
don't know if only the black was used in AS.

I have seen only one failure, and that was user abuse by heavy prying of the
knob metal mount for a illogical door move. I have one receiver failure due
to user not knowing to simply rotate the knob 1/8 to 1/4 turn to open the
door and pried the door open breaking the little spring steel receiver inner
catch.

None of the M.C. numbers resemble anything like the simple plastic latch.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX