[VAL] Toilet Question

Hi Folks, Chuck here.  We are install a new toilet in our 1958 Flying Cloud.
We purchased a Aqua Magic V.  My question is,  is the nothing between the
slide valve and the point where it meets the closet flange?  Seems to me that
waste would be caught in the big cavity below the slide valve and the point
it enters the closet flange (holding tank).  Does anyone have this model, and
is that just the way they are, and gravity takes care of it?  Any input would
be helpful.

Thanks,
Chuck & Lynn
1965 Overlander