Re: [VAL] RE: Bowen water heater air mixture

    RJ,

    Thanks for going to the effort to supply me with the manual.  Although
it isn't for my model, it was close enough to lead me to a successful
repair.

    Here's what I did:

    I removed the big red temp knob and the four screws holding the pot
metal cover plate that surrounds it.  That exposed a conical spring pressing
on a valve disc about the size of a quarter.  It came out easily revealing a
neoprene(?) valve seal on the back side showing evidence of debris that I
could actually feel with my index finger.  I simply used rubbing alcohol to
clean it and then slipped it back into place.

    Everything went together easily and thorough testing showed that the
leak was coming from there all along.  I cycled the main burner on and off a
dozen or more times and at not once did the orifice show a flame as it had
before, nor was there any trace of propane odorant.

    Learn from my cautions and mistakes:

    When removing that metal cover with the four screws, I was extremely
careful not to tear or destroy what appears to be a cork gasket sealing the
cover with the body.

    After reassembling everything I discovered a small leak coming from the
cork seal in the upper, right corner of the thermostat cover and body joint.
I shut off the gas, loosened the four screws and carefully retorqued the
them with particular attention to staggering the tightening, starting with
the one in that corner.  Another check showed that I had successfully
staunched the leak by repeatedly waiting and rechecking.

    Thanks to all who ultimately got me to dive into that valve assembly.
In the end, it turned out to be pretty intuitive and very simple.

    I hope this helps someone else who might be tempted to toss the entire
water heater for want of knowing how to service their thermostatic valve
assembly.

    Regards,

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508