Re: [VAL] Replacing axles on '64 Airstream

I don't know about the larger trailers, but there was very little wheel
clearance with my old axle in the '61 Bambi.  By eliminating the shocks,
(which Dexter doesn't use) we were able to center the wheels in the wheel
wells and improve the clearance. It went from about 1" between the tire side
wall and the outer skin to 2.5". It will sure make it easier changing the
tires.
Also, you can increase the ride height by .75" by using the Dexter high
profile mounting bracket rather than the low profile bracket. My Bambi is
riding great with the #10 3500 lbs. Dexter, and the Dexter has a grease
fitting to change the grease.
I believe with the 15" hubs you can get never lubs bearings which might be
nice.

Jim
'61 Bambi