Re: [VAL] Airstream Motorhome Problem

> The mechanic is worried because he says it is
> running hot after the overhaul. He also
> put a new 180 degree thermostat in. It doesn't boil
> the coolant out,  just runs hotter than he likes.
>
> Do I tell him to not worry about it, or let him put
> in a new $500  radiator, which is what he wants to
> do? It isn't the money so much as  the likelihood
> that it will be the same after the replacement
> radiator  as it was before.

> Rik

  If it's running hot, most likely it's not getting
good airflow or the radiator has issues, clogged or
too small.
 How clean is the radiator? If the vehicle sits, crud
precipitates out and clogs the core. Coolant shoud be
changed at least every two years as the corrosion
inhibitors lose their power.
 How many cores does the existing radiator have? The
more cores, the cooler it will run.
  If it's a good copper, four or five, more, core
radiator, it can be rebuilt for less than replacement.

If it's aluminum or plastic get ready for the hit.
Mechs prefer to replace, it's quicker and the margin
is better.

  DanG
   Old trucks,
    Old trailers,