[VAL] Airstream Motorhome Problem

I will toss this out in hopes that someone in the Airstream Brain Trust
will have an answer for me.

I have a 1983 310 motorhome. Two, in fact, also a 1983 Winnebago
Chieftain with the same Chevy P-30 chassis and 454 motor as the
Airstreams. The Chieftain has always run nice and cool, with the temp
usually at about 1/4 on the gauge, unless it is a hot day or she is
working hard. One of the Airstreams is recently overhauled, and always
seemed to run hot. I asked the mechanic that did the overhaul about it,
and he said it had a new 180 degree thermostat, and the higher temp was
normal.

My current problem is, Airstream #2 is now being overhauled in Santa
Ana, CA, while I live in Santa Cruz, about 400 miles away. The mechanic
is worried because he says it is running hot after the overhaul. He also
put a new 180 degree thermostat in. It doesn't boil the coolant out,
just runs hotter than he likes.

Do I tell him to not worry about it, or let him put in a new $500
radiator, which is what he wants to do? It isn't the money so much as
the likelihood that it will be the same after the replacement radiator
as it was before.

Can any of you Airstream motorhome owners out there shed some light on
my problem? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Rik