Re: [VAL] How many 61 Babmi owners have ever put in a new floor?

Martin,

Please do your homework first. If I understand correctly the wood floor in
Airstreams is more than just a surface to walk on. It is an integral part of
the structure of the trailer. The strength of the trailer depends on the sum
of its parts, one of them being the floor. I don't think that there is
anything unique to the Bambi as far as the wood flooring goes.

What you do is up to you, but most people take a look at how much rot the
wood contains and go from there. The FIRST step is to stop all leaks. Visit
www.vintagetrailersupply.com for the common caulks used on an Airstream. I
highly recommend applying it with a syringe. Once you have eliminated the
source of the leak it is time to address the damage. If there is just water
stains without the presence of rot, you can get by with annually inspecting
the exterior and caulking any suspect area such as where 2 pieces of
aluminum come together and the rivets. If rot is present but not extensive
epoxy works great to restore the integrity. Larger areas require the wood to
be replaced.

As stated earlier floor replacement has been covered in the archives, so do
a search on Tom Patterson's site. It may also of been covered in a VA, so
check out the back issues on the VAC website.

Scott
(Who has used epoxy before...in too large of an area. It would of been
cheaper just to replace the wood.)