Re: [VAL] Honda generators

> Well, I'm only 30 miles south of the border, but I recommend the 2000
> Honda. It will run everything but the AC, although not all at once. It
> is quiet, reliable and weighs a little over 50 lbs, which means it
> doesn't take 4 men and a crane to move. If I needed to do the AC too, I
> would get another one and the special cable they have to hook them up
> together which gives you 4000w, plenty for the AC.

Hey Daisy et al:

I think some things should be noted somewhere in all of this:

1.  Although the EU 2000i is rated for a MAX load of 2000 watts or 16.67
amps (above that it shuts itself off), the RATED load is 1600 watts  or 13.3
amps.

2.  Honda cautions against sustained operation over the rated load (more
than 30 minutes) or risk damage.

I attempted to start my trailer AC one time.  It not only overloaded but
stopped the generator cold.  I also attempted to run my neighbor's electric
pressure washer that was rated at 14 amps  and lit up the overload light.
In that case I bought another pressure washer that was rated at 10 amps and
it works like a charm.  Especially at the trailer storage place where I can
now wash off the trailer.  But that's another story.

Finally, I found out the hard way something of a quirk about the EU 2000i
that I will share (for those that don't already know it).  I went to start
it up after a long period of non-operation and, as usual, it fired right up
after a pull or two.  But it began surging wildly.  I shut it down and tried
it several more times with the same result.  I couldn't figure out what was
wrong and was about to take to a Honda repair place but instead decided to
send away for the Workshop Manual ($34.45 + tax / S&H from Helm Inc).  BTW,
this is an extremely comprehensive book full of drawings, data, and most of
all, trouble shooting guides.  Turned out that the problem turned out to be
very simple.  Don't start the generator in Eco-Throttle mode.  Always make
sure the Eco-Throttle switch is turned OFF to start and THEN turned to the
Eco-Throttle mode.  For those who don't know what this is, it is a system
that allows the generator to operated at fairly low RPM which increases
automatically as needed if the load increases beyond a certain point.  The
low RPM operation is very quiet.  The high RPM operation......eh......not so
quiet.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

GQ "67 Safari in CA