Re: [VAL] 1960 Tradewind questions

Bob,

I am currently in the process of doing a ground-up restoration of a 1959
Overlander, on the fast track: have to have it ready for us to live in by
Aug. 1!

I would be willing to bet a LOT of money, sad to say, that your sub-floor
needs replacing, as did mine. I'd recommend getting someone who really
knows about vintage trailers to help you look at all the flooring edges
you can access.

If you're going to drop the belly pan, you'll have a good opportunity to
check subfloor from below. But the way your and my trailers are put
together (I'm pretty certain this was same in 1960 as 1959), completely
replacing the belly pan requires drilling out the structural rivets all
around lower body. And those should really be replaced by bucked rivets,
not just Olympic. So, that requires at least loosening lower interior
panels to access backside. Unfortunately, that means dissassembling entire
interior. But the good news is, then you've got things ready to replace
the sub-floor!

I have done all the above dismantling in last couple of weeks, am now
grinding rust and paint off frame, awaiting welder to make repairs. Then
the rebuild begins!

My unit is 2 feet longer than yours, has/had combined 110/12v power and
complete plumbing except grey tank. I could send you a sketch of how
everything was laid out, if that would help you. I'm planning on putting
everything back like original floor plan, but with all-new and upgraded
wiring, all-new water & gas lines, grey tank somewhere.

Good luck!

Lynne