RE: [VAL] NC changed VIN(now kind of long?)

> Old Texas Title shows 1979 SLV CT 30' 6000#
> vinSSTGCT792191 ... SSTGCT792191 is prior vin Texas
title,...then the NC titled vin 10160735553083938
which is the old Texas title number.
> Wow...anybody got experience when I re-Title back in
> Texas, will Texas now use the bogus NC vin, or can I
convince Texas to put back the actual vin?

I have had a small bit of experience with Texas titles
on vehicles from out of state. I bought a '77 Vespa in
Texas that had once been owned by a fellow in Texas,
sold to a guy in NM and then traded in as junk to a
Texas dealer. The whole deal started out very messy.
Since there was not a title from anyone the DMV wanted
a rubbing of serial number off the frame and bill of
sale from the last Texas owner, along with a
certificate that he had tried to contact the previous
owner and DMV would do it...but...I had to first try
to contact the first Texas owner, myself, and I was at
his mercy about the change of ownership. I contacted
him and he was very nice, kind of like Airstream
people have been so far :-) So Texas issued me a new
Texas title. I know this sounds convoluted, but you
ought to hear me tell it without notes.

Next experience, '69 Austin Healy Sprite. Now stick
with me here. I bought if from a guy in New Mexico,
that had purchased it from a fellow that was a
mechanic in Portales, NM. I talked to the mechanic and
he said he found it in a farmers field and the farmer
sold it to him cheap. He fixed it up, got a title in
NM, which must be pretty easy. There were no VIN
numbers on the frame body or engine. So I got a Texas
title, by presenting the NM title. Used the Texas
title to purchase a stamped frame VIN plate from a
legitimate dealer in such things. Now the frame plate
matched the Texas title and was perfectly legal and
proper. The VIN was never "correct," obviously because
it was not one that matched any year and model of AH
Sprite. I think what happened was that the "mechanic"
did not have a title so used the number from another
wreck and mis-copied the numbers. When I sold it, I
told the buyer the story and signed over the Texas
title that I had received from the NM title, that now
matches the Sprite VIN.

Hey this is fun. I bought a '62 Sprite in Northbay,
Ontario, Canada, in 1969. Since Canada did not have
traditional titles at the time, the Canadian AF base
commander (I was USAF at the time) gave me an
"official" statement with a gold seal stamp and a red
ribbon on it. Texas sent me a title, and license
plates to my station in Canada. When I sold it I
reverted it back to Canadian system and sold it as an
un-inspected vehicle.

I think it has to do with who you talk to at the DMV
and how willing you are to jump through the prescribed
hoops. Providing all the documentation and vin number
rubbings and references that you can find.
Good luck.
bill b.
'69 Sovereign 31', legitimate title on this one.