[VAL] Re: T-Mobile inside an Airstream

Rachel and Martin:

We use T-Mobile also. The T-Mobile network is on
1800 MHz which propagates thru the Airstream windows
without any problem, since the window is much larger than
the wavelength of the 1800 MHz signal. However, since the Airstream
aluminum hull is an electrical conductor, the signal strength will
change radically with position within the trailer, having maxima and
minima every 3.35 inches, minima being offset by 1.67 inches from the
maxima. This is caused by the signal being relected by the aluminum walls.

Depending on how far you are from the cell site, the
orientation of the trailer with respect to the cell site, and
reflecting objects that may be near by, the minima of the
signals within the trailer may be unusable.

Bottom line: you may have to go outdoors to get a usable signal.

For further discussion, email my husband John offlist at
jea(AT)altstatt.com.

-Susan