Re: [VAL] Receiving signals inside Airstream

> Watch out !  NONE of the Passive Antennas ever sold worked..

Couldn't agree more if you are referring to the gimmicky stick-on
so-called boosters.

> The only ones that ever worked, and they did not work well, was a 4 X 6
> X 2 inch amplifier with an input and output cable connection powered by
> 12 VDC.  You ran coax to an outside antenna from the input connector
> then a short coax to the inside antenna.  This was only good for about
> 10 feet on the inside.
> The cost years ago was around $150.  I worked for CellularOne as a tech
> and eng.

This describes one of the typical consumer-grade BDAs that are quite
problematical, and as was mentioned, don't often work if at all. This is
an active device.

External antennas are passive devices, i.e. there is no power consuming
amplification taking place, but there is definitely reciprocal (transmit
as well as receive) gain produced, and this is real and usable gain. As
a rule of thumb, signal strength decreases as the square of the distance
from a transmitter (move twice as far away and the signal drops to 1/4
the starting strength), so for example using an external antenna with 10
dB of gain over your built-in antenna will give you about a 3X increase
in coverage for a given location. This is a worthwhile and significant
improvement.

The key to using these is in having a cellphone or other device with an
accessible external antenna connection so that the device can be
properly connected to the outside-mounted external antenna.

Again, proper external antenna system design is the key here to good
performance. Non ground-referenced antennas with very high loss RG-174U
coaxial cable (this is the small 1/8-inch outside diameter stuff) as a
feedline are mediocre performers. So called "flat-coax" type cables are
extremely lossy as the cable impedance is determined by the physical
cable construction. A flat cable cannot be made reflection-free, and
appears as an impedance bump to the RF traveling in it. These cable
impedance mis-match discontinuity caused standing-wave reflections can
cause pulse jitter and pulse edge rounding on the digital cellular
signals causing losses in performance above and beyond what the expected
cable losses alone would predict.

It's easy to throw away good RF performance by a poor choice in hardware
or installation, and just as easy (and just as cheap) not to.

Rick Kunath