Re: [VAL] Hanging "stuff" on aluminum walls

> All,
> Once again I come to the group with a question. I am
> still working on the kitchen area of my 76 23' Land
> Yacht. I have a great place to hang a shelf for
> "stuff" but don't know the proper way to screw/bolt
> (or do I have to rivet) to the aluminum walls. I also
> would like to hang a flat panel LED 15" TV.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Also I wanted to put in a vote for cork floors - our
> unit has cork & we we love it.
> Thanks once again,
> Allen
> 1976 23' Land Yacht
> St. Louis, MO (Pacific)

Hi Allen:

IMHO, it's nice to consider the eventual removal of whatever you are
hanging.  1/8 " pop rivets make a small hole and leave nothing permanent or
difficult to remove.  I have a box of the shortest white ones for "patching"
holes that are left over from something that is no longer installed.  They
almost look like they belong there.  They match the other ones holding the
inner skin to the frames.

Another option not mentioned by anyone so far is the use of Olympic rivets
for attaching stuff to the inside.  They act kinda like a mollys in the way
they are designed and also require fairly small holes (0.161"D or #20
drill).  The specs for the RV 6607-5-5 provide the following capacities:

Shear        465#
Tensile      245#
Clamp-up   80#

They are easily removed and again the hole can be patched by the use of
another rivet and wouldn't look too bad.

Finally, LCD TVs are pretty pricey (for me at least) and if it was me and I
knew how much bouncing and pounding goes on back there while underway, I
would not risk mounting it permanently.  But then, there are Wal-Mart's
almost everywhere you go and you could always get another one <grin>.

GQ '67 Safari in CA