Re: [VAL] TEST

go to Airstreamforums and follow the thread with a title like "$$$ axle
cost". It has a long to-and-fro about whether or not the Axis axle is
quality. If you can get past some of the more grumpy remarks, it is a
lively and excellent discussion. I personally parked next to a guy up in
Yellowstone (I think he is on this list) who had both of the axles in
his 28' 1968 trailer replaced at Axis and liked the work. His comment
was that before the upgrade, things would walk all around as he drove,
but afterwards a glass of water would sit on the counter and not spill.
Axis is by far the least expensive, compared to Dexter and Henschen (via
Inland RV). I find talking to Chad at the Axis plant to be completely
welcoming and accomodating. If anyone is interested, I will provide all
the drawings that I generate, plus the Axis Excel order sheet (which, by
Chad's own admission, is pretty complete but not by any menas a total
solution to all the measurements that you might need).

One thing I have found is that some time in the late 60s, Airstream
widened the frame from something like 58" to a little over 61". But they
were still using truck wheels that typically have a positive offset of
1-1/2", so the hub-to-hub (really, drum face to drum face) measurement
was in the 74" to 77" inch width region (old frame versus new frame).
When they went to zero offset wheels (all my '71, '72, and '75 axles are
such), the hub-to-hub went up to 80" plus a fraction. The axle tube also
went from 2-5/8" to 3". As I discovered all these differences my
confidence in ordering the right axle went down, down, down, but I'm
strating to get more confidence this week. Maybe even order the axle in
the next couple of days.

Roger
Palmer Lake, CO