[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V3 #147

Hey, I've been away for a couple of years but have rejoined recently.  From
the perspective of someone who has owned way too many vintage Airstreams and
is now down to just two; and who used to scramble for every bit of
information he could get to inform his restoration
goals.........................the difference from a few years ago is
obvious.  I think there is much more reliable information and many more
resources available than there used to be.  The list still gets a wide range
of questions, FYI'S and responses from the trivial to the complicated and
technical.  Lately a thread on axle replacement to today's on storing
silverware and glassware.  I remember vituperous exchanges on Hensley
hitches and flame-outs from overly passionate devotees on all kinds of
safety and tech subjects.  I just monitor the list and will contribute if I
think I have information that hasn't been provided yet.  So far that hasn't
been the case.  I believe there are many more experienced restorers and
custodians of our favorite aluminum artifacts than there used to be and
there are a lot of already answered FAQ's in the Archives.  So, NO, the list
isn't anywhere near dead and I would bet there are more like me out there
who used to respond more.  I have found that,there was usually someone more
informed than me who had more tech knowledge or was better at explaining the
subject at hand. "Lurking" has too many negative connotations; I like
"actively monitoring" much better.  So far this is the only subject I felt
called on to reply to.
Tom Walden
58 Wanderer
56 Safari